Sunday, July 17, 2011

Darren Clarke: Different Northern Ireland Golfer Takes Home 2011 British Open

Rory McIlroy was expected to contend for the 2011 British Open title this past weekend, but another golfer from Northern Ireland stole the crown.  Darren Clarke is 20 years older than McIlroy and now he has the same amount of major victories after posting a five under par and was just one of four players to hit under par for the tournament.  His ability to golf with success in poor weather separated him from the rest of the pack.

According to the New York Daily News, following the win, Clarke was quoted repping Northern Ireland and reflecting back on his journey to finally win one saying:

?We're (Northern Ireland) blessed to have obviously two fantastic players in Rory and G-Mac, and I've just come along - the old guy coming along behind them?Bad times in golf are more frequent than the good times.  I've always been pretty hard on myself when I fail because I don't find it very easy to accept that. And there have been times I've been completely and utterly fed up with the game.  But (you) get out there and practice and keep going, keep going, keep going, and that's why I'm sitting here now.?

Before winning the British Open, Clarke had never finished in the top five in any other major.  Clarke lost his wife to breast cancer back in 2006.  He went onto say: "In terms of what's going through my heart, there's obviously somebody who is watching down from up above there, and I know she'd be very proud of me.  She'd probably be saying, 'I told you so.??

There is nothing like a feel-good, underdog story to make up for the lack of attendance of Tiger Woods.

 

David Daniels is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report and a Syndicated Writer. Follow him on Twitter.

Sara Spraker Alexis Bledel Kim Kardashian China Chow Alecia Elliott

No comments:

Post a Comment